Thursday, November 30, 2006

Cold snap

Today winter started. A week of unseasonal warmth gave way to all-day rain, then icy drizzle. The joys of the Midwest.

Each morning I walk to the end of the drive to collect a paper I will not read. I always stop to admire the whisky-barrel planter full of snapdragons. I put them in two years ago, when much was different. I was working, could travel, and generally got by OK. I have always loved the massed opulence of snapdragons—tall spikes of watered silk.

Last year, the self-seeded snapdragons got a slow start, and finally managed a few late blossoms. They were basically an act of faith, a work in progress. To see them, you had to know that they were there.

This year they made a more promising start, a more definite statement. In early spring, I spent a few minutes one afternoon at the planter, in the cold but welcome sun, weeding out all the plants that did not seem to be incipient snapdragons. “Go for it, guys,” I told the survivors. That was all I did, and I was rewarded with a barrel of glorious flowers all season.

When less hardy summer flowers shrank and disappeared from neighbors’ gardens, gone before October, my snapdragons continued unfazed. They staggered a bit as the cold started to bite, but offered a few blooms right through November.

Chicago winter may delay, but she don’t play. We had a nice warm week, but nice is done. This morning there was one magenta bud, ‘fronting the ice storm. As I bent near it to pick up the paper I said “Good job,” and “Thanks,” and “See you in the spring.” Which, come to think of it, was the same thing I said to the Cubs as they left the field at Wrigley, heading into their last week. Your basic baseball benediction, good year or bad, season in, season out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home